Paddle Planner.com - BWCA, Quetico, Sylvania, and other paddling places
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Sluggman42  
#1 Posted : Monday, May 6, 2024 10:08:19 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 6 post(s)

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/superior/notices/?cid=FSEPRD1174552

I suspect many who regularly travel to the BWCA already know, but the Forest Service has stated that only "bear resistant" containers are now allowed to store food in unless you comply with the hanging requirements (which most find impossible).  

This means no more "blue barrels".  Also you have to constantly keep an eye on anything with a smell, including not just food, but lip balm and toothpaste at all times.  This means no more dumping your pack at the end of the portage and going back for the next load. 

Many better/more instructive reviews out there, but this should get you thinking about it at least.   Won't go into all my personal opinions about this other than to say that my next trip isn't likely to be south of the border....   

Sponsor
HowardSprague  
#2 Posted : Thursday, May 9, 2024 8:38:56 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I can't see the portage technicality possibly being enforced. A solo paddler would have to carry the food pack/barrel over, take it back to pick up the canoe and any other stuff, then carry it over again. A pretty absurd scenario. And hanging at a portage - when you're trying to hastily move out and get out of the way of other groups - not doable.
thanks 1 user thanked HowardSprague for this useful post.
Ben Strege on 5/11/2024(UTC)
Ben Strege  
#3 Posted : Saturday, May 11, 2024 10:28:36 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 161 time(s) in 141 post(s)

After reading Sluggman42's post, I read the order again to see if the portage scenario was a possibility. And, I guess, technically, according to how it is written, you would not be able to leave the food pack at the portage. However, I think this is more an oversight in the wording and not the actual intent of the order. I doubt it would be enforced.

This order has been discussed ad naseum in other forums and groups. For me personally, it has zero impact since I always hang my food. I only have stayed in one campsite where it was impossible (in the Cavity Lake burn area), and I put the food with pots and pans on top to alert me if there was a problem. I was already considering a bear vault because of this even before the order came out.